Today on the Savory Prime blog, we discuss for all the dog owners out there understand your pet and when they are hurting. Here are 5 of the Most Painful Conditions for Dogs:
- Pancreatitis: When the pancreas becomes inflamed, likely due to ingestion of fatty foods or a side effect of medication, sharp abdominal pain occurs. Severe cases can result in death.
Signs: Loss of appetite, isolation, vomiting, reacts in pain when the stomach is probed, low energy, diarrhea, and irregular heartbeat in severe cases.
Average Treatment Cost: $800
- Bone Cancer: Osteosarcoma is one of the most common cancers in dogs, typically occurring in the front of back limbs, although it can affect the vertebrae, the upper and lower jaw, facial bones and the flat bones of the ribs. This aggressive condition continues to get worse and is often fatal.
Signs: Lameness, limpness, lethargy, weakness, swelling around the affected area of the leg, swollen upper or lower jaw, pain when opening the mouth, swelling along the spine or ribs, lack of appetite, difficulty breathing.
Average Treatment Cost: $1800
- Intervertebral disc disease: IVDD is an acute rupture of an intervertebral disc of the spine in the back neck, often noticed after running or jumping, or after serious physical trauma. Can lead to permanent spinal cord damage causing partial or complete paralysis. Certain breeds are predisposed, Obese dogs are at an increased risk.
Signs: Stiffness in the head, neck and back, hunched posture, yelping when touched, dragging one or more legs when walking, "toeing over" or "knuckling over" on paws when standing, tremors, reluctance to rise or move.
Average Treatment Cost: $1200
- Gum Disease: Periodontal disease is progressively degenerative, resulting from untreated gingivitis, destroying periodontal ligaments and structures that hold teeth in place, leading to bone decay and painful tooth loosening and loss. Dogs feel constant irritation and pain.
Signs: Bad breath, stained teeth, inflamed and swollen gums, red or bleeding gums, excessive drooling, reluctance to eat, nasal discharge, discharge from the gums, swelling below an eye, tooth loss, loosening teeth, and receding gums.
Average Treatment Cost: $300
- Arthritis: When a joint’s smooth cartilage breaks down painful wear and tear can occur, leading to arthritis, commonly affecting elbow joints or spine, other joints may be affected. Dogs of all ages can be affected, and feel constant pain in the joints, making it difficult to move.
Signs: Limping, difficulty moving, hunched posture, lameness in the front or hind legs, extended sleep or rest, irritability when handled, muscle atrophy, and licking, chewing or biting at the area of pain.
Average Treatment Cost: $290