Thinking about camping for your most awaited summer holidays but worried about the dog? Today, I will discuss 7 tips to enjoy camping with your dog. Some key things should be remembered to take your dog with you for camping. Mostly you need to think about your dog’s physical fitness, safety, and security.
1. Before camping your pet needs a physical check-up
- Consulting a Specialist: Consult with your nearest veterinarian for both physical and behavioral checkup to determine if your dog completely fits to join with you. Let your veterinarian know about the camping location and make sure that your dog has all vaccinations up to date. Flea and tick preventive medicines can be applied during the physical checkup. You can also make a name tag for your dog. The tag should include dog’s name, your name, home address and phone number.
- Grooming Your Dog: You also need to groom your dog properly before camping. For grooming, you need to use: shampoo, towel, conditioner, scissors/ clippers, brush, etc. You need to learn about your dog’s behavior about grooming. Some dogs like to be brushed but not nail trimming. You need to do the thing last that your dog dislikes. Brushing can be done once in a week (for short haired dogs) or every day (for long-haired dogs). Make sure that grooming sessions are fun and enjoyable for your dog. At first, just take 5-10 minutes for grooming. Make it a regular basis to adjust it with your dog’s behavior. Use better tools for proper grooming of your dog.
2. Finding a suitable camping site
It’s important to research a little before selecting a camping site. For example, you choose a site which doesn’t allow pets. After traveling a far distance, this can be really embarrassing!!! So you should do a little research about the campsite before starting your journey. Also, you need to find the environments and weather forecasts of the selected area. This research can save you a lot of problems that can come your way. You need to check about leash laws because some campsites only allow restrained pets in their area.
3. Things to pack up
You need to pack a lot of things for camping with your dog. Things that you can’t miss while packing:
- Durable collar with ID tag.
- Long leash for walking your dog
- Plenty of food and water (you need to carry some extra)
- Special food for a special treat
- Brush and other grooming tools
- Collar with glowing lights for night walking
- Sweater for cold weather
- Smell proof poop container
4. Special training for camping
At the campsite, there will be other campers. You need to train your dog good behavior not to disturb fellow camper’s peace. You need to train your dog for good campsite etiquette. You need to use voice command a lot for keeping your dog outside of your fellow campers. Pay attention to your dog closely so that it stays with you most of the time. Train your dog to follow you properly. Whoa, come, leave it- these basic training should be done properly to avoid further troubles
5. Security for your dog
The most important tip is here!!! Security should be given as the topmost priority during your whole trip.
Security measures to follow:
- Strong collar with a long leash
- Waterproof collar
- Don’t let your dog roam freely
- Tie your dog when you are not around
- Boundary training is essential to keep your dog safe
- Collar with a microchip can be used for tracking
- For complete safety, you can use a wireless portable dog fence
6. Watch out for potential dangers
If your campsite is near to a forest or waterfall, you need to watch out for potential dangers. Nature is unpredictable so as the accidents. You may like to camp in cold weather. In that case, prepare for weather-related health issues. Always bring regular medicines and consult a specialist for additional help. Take preventive measures according to your campsite location.
7. First aid box
A good first aid box is an essential part of your camping. There are certain things for dogs especially and not for you!!! That’s why; you need to carry an additional first aid box for your dog. You can make a box yourself or you can buy online first aid boxes. An ideal first aid box for your dog should include medicines for pain and infections, bandages, foot balm and septic powder to stop bleeding.
Camping with your dog can be a lot of fun and a good trip to remember as well!!! Just follow all the points discussed here. Especially look for safety measures. Give your dog a good playtime with nature and have fun!!!